If your Wyze camera is making a clicking sound and, in some cases, flashes a red light, the most probable cause is your AC adapter. Either your AC adapter is not powerful enough to power the camera, or it has some hardware issues, so the best solution is to buy a new AC adapter and use that one to power your Wyze cam.
Wyze cameras are known for their affordability, reliability, and advanced features. However, some users have reported a clicking noise when using their Wyze cameras.
This issue, while not affecting the camera’s functionality, can cause concern for users who want a quiet and seamless monitoring experience.
You can hear a clicking sound when the camera pans or tilts, and it can be disruptive in certain situations, such as when monitoring a sleeping baby or during a business meeting.
After spending a few hours researching this issue, I have found a solution that works! With that said, let’s get started!
Importance of Addressing the Clicking Noise
It is normal to hear a temporary clicking sound from your Wyze camera when it enables night vision; however, if it continuously makes the clicking sound without the night vision, that is when you have to proceed with troubleshooting.
Addressing the clicking noise issue is essential for the following reasons:
- Quiet Monitoring: Many users rely on Wyze cameras to monitor their homes, offices, or loved ones, and a clicking noise can be intrusive and disruptive to the desired quiet environment.
- Improved User Experience: Resolving the clicking noise issue enhances the overall user experience by ensuring smooth operation and eliminating unwanted disturbances.
- Peace of Mind: A silent Wyze camera gives users peace of mind and confidence in its performance, whether you use it for security, baby monitoring, or any other purpose.
Now let’s look at possible causes for the clicking sound from your Wyze camera.
Wyze Camera Making Clicking Noise – Possible Causes?
If you are encountering a clicking noise from your Wyze camera without enabling night vision, there could be a few potential causes to consider.
Here are two common reasons for this issue:
Power Issues: The AC Adapter is at Fault!
One possible cause of the clicking noise is a power issue.
It could be that the AC adapter or power source connected to your Wyze camera is faulty or not providing stable power, especially if you see a blinking red light along with the clicking sound.
It can result in electrical fluctuations or insufficient power supply, leading to the clicking sound.
Mechanical issues with the Wyze Camera
Another potential cause of the clicking noise could be mechanical issues within the Wyze camera. It could include problems with the camera’s motor or internal components.
These mechanical issues can result in a clicking sound when the camera operates. If you suspect this to be the case, the best action would be to contact Wyze customer support for further assistance or consider replacing the camera if it is still under warranty.
By identifying and addressing the specific cause of the clicking noise, you can ensure your Wyze camera’s optimal functionality and performance.
How to Fix Wyze Camera Clicking Sound?
Now you know the causes behind Wyze cameras’ clicking sound issues. Let’s get to the actual and practical solutions.
1. Try a New Power Adapter with your Wyze Cam
Most of the time, the clicking noise from your camera is because of less power. In most cases, you might also see a flashing red light.
You can also try a different power outlet or another USB cable before changing the AC adapter. Sometimes, the issue is actually from the power outlet or the cable.
If that is the case, try using a different power adapter and see if the clicking noise stops.
If the new power adapter resolves the issue, the original power adapter was defective or not providing enough power to the camera.
2. Power Cycle your Wyze Camera
Power cycling your Wyze camera can help reset any software or hardware issues causing the clicking noise.
To power cycle, your Wyze camera, follow these steps:
- Disconnect the power adapter from the camera.
- Wait for about 20 seconds.
- Reconnect the power adapter to the camera.
After power cycling your camera, check if the clicking noise has stopped.
3. Factory Reset your Wyze Cam
If the clicking noise continues after trying the above steps, you can perform a factory reset on your Wyze camera.
A factory reset will remove all your camera’s settings and configurations.
To perform a factory reset on your Wyze Cam:
- Locate the small setup button on the bottom of your camera.
- Press and hold the reset button for about 10 seconds.
- Once you hear the sound from your camera, “Ready to connect,” your camera has been reset successfully and is now ready to set up again.
After the factory reset, you must delete the camera from the app and add it again. I have written a detailed guide on factory resetting here.
If the clicking noise persists after trying these troubleshooting steps, it may indicate a hardware issue with your Wyze camera. In such cases, contacting Wyze customer support for further assistance is advisable.
4. Contact Wyze Customer Support
If you are still experiencing the clicking noise issue after factory resetting, I recommend contacting Wyze customer support for assistance.
Here are a few ways you can reach out to them:
Visit the official Wyze website and navigate to the support section. You can find helpful articles, FAQs, and troubleshooting guides that may address your issue there.
Remember to provide as much detail as possible when contacting Wyze support, including the camera model, the firmware version, and a description of the clicking noise issue you are experiencing. It will help the support team troubleshoot and resolve the problem more efficiently.
Preventing Wyze Cam Clicking Sound from Malfunctioning AC Adapter
With all that troubleshooting techniques, I hope you have fixed the clicking sound from your Wyze cam. Now let me explain how you can prevent it from happening again.
You just have to take these few preventative precautions:
- Placing the adapter in wet or cold areas can lead to water entering and causing malfunctions. So, if you are installing a v3 for outdoor use, plug the adapter in a warm and unexposed location.
- Use weatherproof cases, plastic enclosures, or DIY solutions to cover the power adapter. Shields prevent water/moisture from entering the adapter, reducing malfunctions and clicking sounds.
- Modifying the adapter may void warranties and carry potential risks. That is why you should keep the adapter in a dry, temperate location away from direct exposure to water and extreme temperatures.
Following these precautions, especially if you are using a v3 camera for outdoor usage, can prevent the clicking sound issue from occurring again.
Last Thoughts on Wyze Camera Making Clicking Sound
In conclusion, if your Wyze camera is making a clicking noise, it is important to address the issue promptly to ensure the device’s proper functioning.
While a clicking noise may not always indicate a serious problem, it is crucial to troubleshoot and identify the cause of the noise to prevent further issues.
If you also see a red light, there is a 99% chance that the power adapter is at fault. Replacing the adapter will fix the issue.
- Wyze Cam Yellow Light Issue
- Wyze cam viewing on a desktop
- How To Fix “Wyze Error Code 90”?
- How To Connect Wyze Camera To WiFi?
- Wyze Cam V3 Stopped Recording Events
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why Does My Wyze Camera Keep Clicking?
Clicking sound from your Wyze camera occurs when you enable the night vision mode. If you haven’t enabled the night vision and your camera is still producing a clicking sound, it might be having power issues from the power outlet or the power adapter.
Which kind of Power Adapter should I buy for Wyze Cameras?
You can use any 5V power adapter for your Wyze cameras. However, you can only use the official power adapter for Wyze outdoor cameras, which you can buy from the Wyze website.
Do Wyze Cameras make Noise commonly?
No, if your Wyze camera is all functional, it should not make any kind of noise.
Why is my Wyze camera making static noise?
The static noise from your Wyze camera is possible because of several reasons. The main reason is the low power of the adapter. However, it can also be caused by interference from other electronic waves or the SD card. There is also the possibility of hardware issues.