Quick Fix for TCL TV Black Screen:
- Power Cycle: Turn off your TCL TV and unplug it from the power socket. Wait a few minutes, then plug it back in and turn it on.
- HDMI Check: Ensure HDMI cable connections are secure. Replace any loose or damaged cables.
- Factory Reset: If the problem persists, perform a factory reset to return your TCL TV to its default settings.
If the quick fixes above don’t resolve the issue, please try other solutions discussed below.
My mom’s TCL TV, which she’s had for several years now, recently started experiencing some issues. Recently, she informed me that her TV screen had turned completely black.
Since her TCL TV also stopped responding to her remote control, I opted to help her out this time.
I researched forum threads and TCL’s help guide for information on reviving a dead TV.
After thoroughly researching, I successfully guided my mom through the process of restoring her TV’s functionality.
Comprehensive Guide to Resolving TCL TV Black Screen Problems
During my research, I discovered that the following are the most typical reasons why your TCL TV displays a black screen:
- A faulty connection between the TV and its source of input.
- The Input Source settings from inside of your TV.
- There might be an issue with the power supply.
- The capacitors are overcharged.
- The power supply to your TV might be insufficient for a bright display.
- The backlight LED in your TV may be broken.
- Some internal hardware, such as the T-CON board, is broken on your TV.
The average person may fix all these problems, but if your TV has dead internal hardware, you should call in the pros. Because fixing internal hardware by opening the TV yourself isn’t worth it.
With all that said, let’s get to fixing it!
1. Try Restarting Your TCL TV
It’s often said that simply restarting a device can resolve many common technical issues. Although it may seem simple, restarting can often have significant positive effects.
Detailed instructions on how to restart everything are provided below.
- It’s recommended that you unplug your TV and keep it disconnected for at least two minutes.
- After waiting, reconnect the TV to the wall outlet.
Additionally, resetting the remote can help. To do this, remove the batteries, wait for 2 minutes, and then reinsert them.
This restart will help you repair the black screen on your TCL TV. However, you may try other solutions if the TV still doesn’t work.
2. Check HDMI Ports and Cables for Secure Connections
Ensure that all HDMI cables are securely connected without any loose ends. They are located either on the back or side of your TCL TV (depending on your TV’s model).
You should check that all cables and connections are secure and properly plugged in.
Loose HDMI cable connections, whether on the TV’s side or the device it’s connected to, can lead to a black screen on your TCL TV. Follow these guidelines:
- Cables and adapters for TCL TVs and connected HDMI devices should be checked.
- Locate the TV’s HDMI ports. (Depending on your TCL TV model, the ports may be on the back or sides.)
- Carefully unplug the cables and re-plug them into the appropriate ports.
- Next, unhook any peripherals/streaming devices currently plugged in and reconnect them.
- Turn ON your TV and check whether the display comes on or not.
After checking and correcting all of the connections, the problem may lie in the HDMI Cable if your TV still has a black screen.
Try changing your HDMI cord, and it may resolve the issue.
3. Ensure the Correct Input Source is Selected
Another case for your TV to show a black screen is an incorrect input source.
Sometimes, TCL televisions may default to an unintended input source upon startup. A child may have altered the TV’s Input settings at your home.
- To address this, make sure your streaming device is connected to HDMI Port 1 and then select HDMI 1 as your TV’s input source. You should also ensure that your streaming device is powered ON.
- If the screen remains black, switch the TV’s source to HDMI 2 and plug your streaming device into the HDMI 2 port.
If you can view the display after moving the streaming device to the HDMI 2 port, then the HDMI 1 port is broken or dead. You should see a professional to get the port fixed.
4. Perform a Soft Reset on Your TCL TV
A soft reset is an alternative to a hard reset that requires less work from the user.
Please refer to the instructions for a soft reset on your TCL TV.
- Remove the plug from the wall outlet holding your television.
- Your TCL TV will need to be disconnected and the TV’s power button held down for 30 seconds. (It will aid in discharging capacitors completely.)
- The TV should be unplugged from the power source and left for 30 seconds before being reconnected and turned on again.
You may also Perform a Soft Reset on Your TCL Remote at the same time you do so on your TV.
- Open the rear cover of your TCL TV’s remote, and take out both of the batteries.
- While the batteries are out of the remote, press and hold the power switch on the remote for 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds, put the batteries back inside.
Hopefully, performing this soft reset will fix the issue, as it is a great solution and worked for 90% of consumers with the same TCL TV black screen issue.
5. Check the Power Cord for Damages
If the power cord to your TCL television is broken, the TV may not get sufficient electricity to function correctly.
Check the power cable’s connection on the back of the TV and the wall outlet just as thoroughly as you did the HDMI cables.
You should replace the cable immediately if you see any wear and tear since this may lead to more severe problems with your TV set.
There is also a possibility that your TV’s power source malfunctions.
6. Ensure the TV’s Power Source is Stable
A faulty power outlet, like a defective power cable, might provide insufficient power to your TV, leaving you with nothing but a black screen.
After inspecting the power cord, if your TCL TV still has a black screen, try a different socket.
Unplug your TV, plug it into a different power outlet, and see if the black screen disappears. If it does that, your power source is undoubtedly to blame.
If you are using a surge protector, then try removing the surge protector and plugging your TV directly into the power outlet, as a malfunctioning surge protector also passes less electricity.
7. Adjust the ‘Fast Start’ Option in Settings
Based on multiple forum discussions, toggling the Fast Start setting on the TCL TV has been suggested to address the black screen issue.
Below, I’ll show you how to check it out and either turn it on if it’s off or turn it off if it’s on.
If you have a TCL Roku TV, follow these guidelines:
- On your TCL Roku TV remote, press the Home button.
- Go to Settings.
- Go to System.
- Select Fast TV Start.
- In case it is enabled, disable it; otherwise, enable it.
If you have a TCL Google TV, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Go to Device Preferences.
- Go to Power.
- Select Instant Power On, and tweak the enable disable settings.
Once done, restart your TV and ensure that the issue is resolved.
8. Ensure Your TV’s Firmware is Updated
Your TCL LED TV is preconfigured to update its firmware automatically. Still, if you or anyone else in your household has disabled this feature, you must do the update yourself.
Outdated firmware can have vulnerabilities, one of which might cause a black screen issue on the TV.
The firmware controls the TCL Smart TV’s internal operations. Menus, settings, and firmware also direct the processing and rendering of videos on the TCL Smart TV screen.
To manually update your TCL TV’s software, follow these steps:
- Ensure your TV is connected to the Internet.
- Press the Home button on your TV’s remote to access the menu.
- Select Settings.
- Select More Settings.
- Select Device Preferences.
- Select About.
- Go to System Update.
- When it’s done, you may confirm by selecting OK.
By following the steps, your TV will search for available firmware updates online. If an update is found, the download will commence automatically. After the firmware update has been downloaded completely, your TV will restart automatically.
9. Check the TCL TV’s T-CON Board for Issues
For optimal display and functionality, TCL LCD TVs rely on the timing control (T-CON) board. This board also provides the vertical and horizontal lines required for a television screen to function.
The brightness of the LCD backlight is controlled by a T-CON board component called an LCD driver chip. If the T-CON board fails, the lighting will be much dimmer. Colors become more muted and drab as a result.
If your T-CON board is damaged, replacements are available easily. Prices for these circuit boards range from roughly $50 for most TCL televisions to over $100 for some of the more premium models.
If you have electronics repair skills, you can change the T-CON board yourself, but it’s not wrong to have a pro do it for you.
10. Conduct an LED Backlight Test
It’s also possible that other than the LED backlight strips, everything else about your TCL TV is OK.
As an alternative to OLEDs, TCL uses a technology that uses backlight LEDs to illuminate the screen on their mid-range televisions.
If this is the case, it should be easy to see by pointing a bright light at the screen while the TV is ON.
When the TV’s colors seem washed out when a flashlight is shined on them, it’s a sign that the TV backlight LED panel is broken. It has to be replaced immediately.
11. Perform a Factory Reset on Your TCL TV (Hard Reset)
If you have already done everything we’ve suggested and the Black screen problem persists, a factory reset is your final hope.
How To Reset TCL Roku TV with Black Screen?
There should be a reset button on the back of the TV you may use if the screen goes dark.
- The first step is to check that your TV is correctly plugged into an electrical socket.
- To hard reset your TCL television, press the button often labeled “Reset” on the back of your TV.
- The reset button may be tucked away in a tiny recess, accessible only with a paperclip, pin, or needle. Find the hole, drop the needle in, and press the button until you hear a click.
- Just hold down the reset button for 20 seconds.
Assuming all goes according to plan, your TV will power up with the factory defaults, and the black screen will be fixed.
12. Reach Out to TCL’s Customer Support
If you have already attempted all of the solutions we have covered and they have not helped, please contact TCL. If you have a specific question about your TCL TV model, you can find the answers there.
If you have problems with your TCL television, you may call them for advice or instructions on where to send it to be fixed.
You should also visit TCL customer care if your T-CON board or HDMI ports are broken.
13. Utilize Your TCL Warranty if Applicable
Typically, TCL TVs come with a two-year warranty starting from the purchase date. If your TCL TV breaks down while still under warranty, don’t hesitate to call the company’s support number.
You may be able to acquire replacement or repaired TV parts if your warranty covers them.
Buying a TV from a store may allow you to qualify for extended warranties. Many retailers offer extended warranties on their products, which can provide added assurance.
Concluding Thoughts on TCL TV Black Screen Solutions
In conclusion, multiple factors can cause a black screen on TCL TVs. This issue mainly occurs on TCL Roku TVs. The most common ones are either your TV’s capacitors are overcharged or your input source is incorrect.
You can fix these issues by performing a soft reset or selecting the correct input source. If your TCL TV has a black flat screen because of a malfunctioning T-CON board or burnt LED backlight, get the TCL technical support to fix it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How can I fix a TCL TV black screen caused by a power issue?
To fix a black screen on your TCL TV caused by a power issue, power cycle the TV, check the power cord and outlet, and ensure the TV is plugged in securely.
What should I do if my TCL TV is stuck on a black screen after a software update?
If your TCL TV is stuck on a black screen after a software update, unplug it from the wall and then plug it back in. If the problem persists, visit TCL customer support.
Why is my TCL TV displaying a black screen?
TCL TVs, especially Roku TVs, may go dark for several causes. The TV’s input connection, power supply, capacitors, backlight LED, or internal hardware like the T-CON board may be to blame.
How can I check for loose HDMI connections on my TCL TV?
Check TCL TV HDMI ports on the back or sides (depending on the model) for loose connections. Reconnect the cords carefully. Reconnect peripherals and streaming devices.