Quick Fix for Sceptre TV Black Screen:
- Perform a soft reset: Unplug the TV, wait for 10 seconds, then plug it back in.
- Ensure the correct input source is selected using your remote.
- Check HDMI connections for any loose cables or disconnections.
If the issue persists, try other troubleshooting methods discussed later in the article.
It’s frustrating when your Sceptre TV screen goes black during your favorite program.
If you’re facing this issue, you’ve come to the right place for solutions.
Let’s first identify the cause of the black screen on your Sceptre TV and explore solutions.
Understanding the Sceptre TV Black Screen Problem
It is essential to understand the causes of the Sceptre TV black screen before getting to the solution.
According to my research, here are some of the known issues:
- The Power Board, the Inverter Board, and the T-CON board are the three main circuit boards of your Sceptre TV, and if any of them malfunctions, your TV will show you a black screen.
- The power cable or outlet may be at fault if the problem persists with insufficient juice flowing through it.
- Finally, software defects exist. This is one of many problems that might arise if the software powering your Sceptre TV is not updated.
Don’t worry! Many of these issues have straightforward solutions. However, if you want to dive into the internal parts of your TV, it is best to have a technician handle it for you.
Sound Test for Sceptre TV with Black Screen
Perform a sound test before getting to solutions. If your Sceptre TV is ON with sound but has a black screen, it can be fixed. However, if you can not hear any sound, you might have to call Sceptre for the warranty claim.
Use these steps to test the sound on your Sceptre TV:
- Turn on the television
- Turn the volume up to max.
If you hear the sound, well and good! You are ready to proceed with the solutions listed below.
1. Restarting Your Sceptre Smart TV
Restarting the device can resolve many TV issues, often eliminating the need to consult the manual.
Turn OFF your TV and unplug it from the power source for 10 seconds. Plug it back in, and turn it ON.
It’s also a good idea to restart the TV remote when you restart the TV.
Remove the back cover of your TV’s remote control, and take out the batteries. Wait for 10 seconds and put the batteries back inside. Close the cover.
If there were no major issues, your TV should now be working correctly.
2. Checking HDMI Connections and Cables
You need to check that no HDMI cables are disconnected or dangling. (Depending on the make and model of your TV, they may be either on the back or the side of your Sceptre TV.)
A loose HDMI cable, either from the TV or connected devices, could cause a black screen.
Follow these steps to fix HDMI connections:
- Inspect the HDM cable connections on the back of your TV and any other attached devices to ensure they are correctly fixed.
- Disconnect and reconnect the cables to the HDMI ports on the TV and connected devices.
- Check whether the black screen is fixed or not.
If the TV’s screen remains black after you have examined the connections, the issue may lie with the HDMI cable. Replace your HDMI cable with a new one.
If the issue persists after replacing the HDMI cable, check your TV’s input source.
3. Selecting the Appropriate Input Source
An incorrect input source is another common reason for Sceptre TV’s black screens.
Plug your device into the appropriate port and double-check that you have selected the correct port to act as the input signal.
Here are some guidelines to help you do it:
- Plug your device (let’s say Playstation) into HDMI port 1.
- To switch to HDMI 1 as the source, hit the input/source button on the remote.
- If the TV screen is still black, try connecting the Playstation to HDMI port 2 and switching the TV’s source to HDMI 2 also.
If the issue is resolved by switching to port 2, then the problem is in your HDMI port 1. I advise having a professional to fix it for you.
4. Power Cycling Your Sceptre TV
For modern tech devices, a Soft Reset is often the go-to troubleshooting method.
To do a soft reset on your TV, commonly known as a power cycle, do the following:
- Power OFF your TV and unplug it.
- While it is unplugged, press the power button on the TV for 30 seconds.
- After that, release the button and leave your TV unplugged for another 2 minutes.
- Plug it back in, and turn it ON.
While power cycling your TV, you should do it to the remote, too.
- Remove the batteries from the remote and hold the power button on the remote control for 30 seconds.
- Release the button and leave it batteryless for another 2 minutes.
- Put the batteries back inside after some time, and close the cover.
That is all you must do to power cycle your TV and remote. If it works well, your TV should power ON, and the display should function normally.
5. Examining the Power Cord
A damaged power cord might prevent your TV from working due to reduced power flow. If that is the case, check the power cable thoroughly.
Ensure the power cable is attached correctly to the back of your TV and the power outlet. If you see any signs of wear or degradation on the cable, you should replace it immediately to prevent further harm to your TV.
Other than the power cable, you should thoroughly examine your power outlet, too.
6. Assessing the Wall Outlet
A faulty power cable or electrical socket could be causing the black screen.
If your Sceptre television still shows a black screen after checking the cord, try plugging it into a different outlet.
If the TV works after that, well and good, but if not, at least you can have the peace of mind the power socket is not causing any issues. Though what about a surge protector?
A malfunctioning surge protector can also take the blame here. If you are using one, remove it and plug your TV directly into the socket.
7. Evaluating the Power Board
Once you’ve ensured the outlet, power cable, and surge protector are functioning well, you can check the power board.
If the power board is messed up, you must replace it! Fortunately, that is not as complex as it sounds; you can do it easily at home, though I recommend hiring a professional instead of opening up your TV on your own.
You will need a cloth for cleaning, a Philips-head screwdriver, and a container for keeping all the screws. Once you have all of that, you can proceed with the replacement:
- Put your TV upside down on a clean table.
- Unscrew the back and open the lid.
- Replace the blown fuses.
- Find the power board, cut its connecting wire, and unscrew it.
- Discard the old one, put the new one in place, and screw it.
- Connect the cable of the new power board.
- Put the lid back and screw it.
- Turn ON your TV.
That is all you have to do!
8. Investigating the T-Con Board
In addition to the power board, the T-CON board is another crucial component.
The T-CON board of a Sceptre Smart TV ensures precise timing for the whole device, including the picture and the other features. The fundamental lines needed by any TV may be found on this board.
Adjusting the intensity of the LCD backlight is the job of the LCD driver chip, which is on the T-CON board. In the event of a T-CON board failure, illumination will be severely diminished. Colors become more subdued because of this.
An alternative T-CON board is widely available on marketplaces. Depending on the required model, these boards vary from $35 to $60.
The T-CON board may be replaced by the user, provided they are competent with electronics. However, it is recommended that those who are not doing it with the assistance of a professional.
9. Flashlight Test for the Inverter Board
The inverter board, or the television backlight LED panel, illuminates your TV screen.
A faulty inverter board may be identified with a flashlight test.
- Get a flashlight.
- Flash it on your TV’s screen from a distance of 2 inches.
- If the image is visible after the light flashes, the problem is likely with the inverter board or the backlight panel.
The inverter board has malfunctioned if the lights fade and strobe in different hues.
10. Performing a Factory Reset on Your Sceptre Smart TV
If you’ve tried all the above solutions and your Sceptre TV still isn’t working, consider a factory reset.
Perform the factory reset by following this guide:
- Ensure your TV is powered ON.
- Find a reset button, generally hidden inside a hold on the back of the TV and only accessible via a needle or a pin.
- Insert the needle/pin inside the hole and press the button for 30 seconds. (You will hear a click once the button is pressed.)
- After holding the button, your TV will restart with factory settings.
Once restarted, you should have the display.
It’s worth noting that not all smart Android TVs come with a physical reset button. Some TVs have a reset option in their settings menu to reset the device back to its original factory settings.
However, as discussed above, some Android TVs might have a physical reset button on the back or bottom of the device. But it depends on the model and manufacturer of the TV.
For example, if you have a Sceptre TV, you can reset it by going to Settings > Device Preferences > Reset > Factory Data Reset > Erase Everything.
11. Reaching Out to Sceptre Customer Support
If the factory reset doesn’t fix, please get in touch with Sceptre’s customer service. Any questions about your specific Sceptre TV model may be answered there.
If your TV is malfunctioning, you may call Sceptre for assistance, and they will instruct you on what to do.
- Email: [email protected]
If you believe the issue is technical in nature or need assistance with the internal components of your TV, Sceptre’s technical support team is available to help.
- Email: [email protected]
12. Understanding the Sceptre Warranty Claim Process
If your TV is still under warranty, prioritize contacting Sceptre.
Sceptre TV warranties are just a year long, and the black screen of death appears to affect older models.
Extended service warranties may be available if you purchase a TV from a store. To boost their bottom lines, several stores now provide the option to purchase extended product warranties.
Conclusion: Resolving Sceptre TV Black Screen Issues
Several factors can cause a Sceptre TV to have a black screen. Incorrect sources or overcharged TV capacitors might be to blame.
Other major known issues are faulty power sources, malfunctioned circuit boards, and damaged power supply.
A soft reset or adjusting the input source can often resolve these issues. If there’s an issue with the LED backlight or T-CON board, contact Sceptre’s technical support.
- Hisense TV Black Screen
- Vizio TV Black Screen
- TCL TV Black Screen
- RCA TV Black Screen
- Sceptre TV Won’t Turn ON
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why is my Sceptre TV screen black?
If your Sceptre TV suddenly goes black, it might be due to several Sceptre TV problems, including a faulty HDMI cable, a faulty power source, or software-related issues.
How to reset the black screen on Sceptre TV?
The best solution to fix a black screen on Sceptre TV is by power cycling. Unplug your TV and press the power button for 30 seconds. After that, replug your TV, and it should function normally.
Why my Sceptre TV won’t turn on?
If your Sceptre TV is not turning ON at all, the power board or power supply is malfunctioning. You can replace both of them yourself or hire a technician to do it for you.
How to factory reset my Sceptre Smart TV without a display?
Ensure your TV is powered ON. Find a reset hole on the back of your TV, insert a pin inside, and you will hear a clicking sound. Press the button for 20-30 seconds until your TV restarts.