If your Onn TV won’t turn on, try a quick power cycle:
- Turn off your TV.
- Unplug the power cord from the TV.
- Wait for 60 seconds.
- Plug the power cord back into the TV.
- Turn on the TV.
Power cycling can often resolve minor glitches that prevent your TV from turning on. If the problem persists, continue reading for further troubleshooting steps.
Onn is well-known in the mid-tier television market for providing high quality at affordable prices.
While these TVs stand out for their functionality and price, like any technology, they can experience challenges, notably with powering ON in rare cases.
- Related content: Who makes Onn TVs?
Frustrated by your Onn TV occasionally refusing to turn on? You’re not alone! After extensive research and combing through user forums, I’ve compiled a comprehensive guide to help you diagnose and fix this issue.
So, let’s demystify this problem and get your Onn TV back in action.
Why Your ONN TV Won’t Turn On?
Before diving into fixes, let’s explore the potential causes of your Onn TV’s power problem.
Onn TV Display Not Working, LED Light On
If the LED indicator light on your Onn TV is on, but the screen is black, it suggests that the TV is receiving power, but there is an issue with displaying the image. Here are some possible causes and troubleshooting steps:
- Backlight issue: The backlight panel, responsible for illuminating the screen, might be malfunctioning.
- Faulty connection: The connection between the main board and the T-CON board, which transmits the image signal, could be loose or damaged.
- Hardware failure: Internal components like capacitors or the motherboard might be faulty.
- Software bug: A software bug in the TV’s firmware could be preventing the image from displaying properly.
Understanding Power Issue:
- Power Requirements: Ensure you’re using the correct power source for your TV. Onn TVs typically require a 120V AC outlet with sufficient amperage (check your TV’s specifications).
- Power Delivery: Fluctuating voltage or insufficient amperage can prevent your TV from turning on. Consider using a surge protector or power conditioner for stable power delivery.
Potential Hardware Causes:
|TV won’t turn on, no lights, power cord feels hot
|Dark screen, faint image visible with a flashlight
|Intermittent power, flickering screen, distorted sound
|No response to controls, distorted image
Advanced Issues (Seek Professional Help):
- Damaged Power Board: A fried power board is the most common cause requiring professional repair.
- Blown Fuses or Capacitors: Damaged internal components need expert assessment and replacement.
What is Capacitor?
A TV capacitor is an electrical component that stores energy in an electric field. It is used in TVs to smooth out the flow of electricity and to provide a reserve of power for the TV to use when it needs it.
Easy Fixes You Can Try:
- Firmware Issues: Update your TV’s firmware to address potential software bugs.
- Overcharged Capacitors: Unplug the TV for 30 minutes to allow capacitors to discharge.
- Power Cord: Check for damage or fraying and replace if necessary.
- Surge Protector: Make sure it’s turned on and functioning correctly.
- Depleted Capacitors: This is a less common issue, but technically proficient users can attempt to replace them.
What is Surge Protector?
Remember, always prioritize safety and avoid attempting repairs beyond your expertise. If you’re unsure about any step, seek professional assistance from a qualified technician.
How to Fix an Onn TV That Won’t Turn On
If your Onn TV won’t turn on, don’t panic! This guide will walk you through a simple troubleshooting fix that often resolves the issue.
Before diving into troubleshooting, it’s crucial to rule out a simple issue with your remote.
Turn on your Onn TV directly using the buttons on the TV itself. This will confirm whether the problem lies with the remote or the TV itself.
If the TV doesn’t turn on using the buttons, proceed with the troubleshooting steps mentioned below.
If the Onn TV Buttons Work, It’s Your Remote:
- Replace batteries: Low batteries are common culprits. Swap ’em out!
- Reset the remote: Turn off the TV, remove the batteries, then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
- Clean the IR sensor: Wipe the sensor on the remote and TV with a soft, dry cloth.
- Try a different remote: See if another remote controls the TV.
By taking this initial step, you can identify and resolve a simple remote issue before embarking on more complex troubleshooting.
2. Power Cycle Your ONN TV
The first and easiest solution is to power cycle your TV. This essentially forces a restart and can clear out minor glitches that may be preventing it from turning on.
Here’s how to do it:
- Disconnect the power cord: Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
- Drain residual power: Hold the power button on your TV for 15-20 seconds. The power button for ONN TVs is located on the bottom of the TV, underneath the ONN logo. It is a small button that is hidden behind the remote sensor. Holding the power button while unplugged drains capacitors potentially clearing glitches.
- Reconnect the power cord: After 20 seconds, release the power button and plug the TV’s cord back into the power outlet.
- Turn on the TV: Press the power button on your TV or remote control.
The power button location may vary depending on your TV model. Refer to your user manual for specific instructions.
This simple process often resolves common issues that prevent your Onn TV from turning on.
If the TV powers on successfully, you’re good to go! If the problem persists, there might be another underlying issue requiring further troubleshooting.
3. Blowing Hot Air into TV Vents (Use Caution)
This method should be used with caution, as improper application of heat can damage your TV. If you’re uncomfortable performing this step, it’s best to seek professional assistance.
Here’s why this method might work:
- Over time, especially if the TV has been unused for several weeks or months, the capacitors inside may lose their charge or experience a change in capacitance.
- This can result in the TV not turning on.
- Applying hot air to the capacitors can help them regain their charge and function properly again.
Here’s how to do it:
- Ensure your TV is plugged into the power outlet.
- Power on your hair dryer.
- Depending on the design of your Onn TV, you may need to turn it around to expose the vents. Look for small openings on the back or sides of the TV where air can flow.
- Hold the hair dryer about 15 inches away from the TV vents and blow the air for 30 seconds. Use a low heat setting to avoid overheating any components.
- Unplug your TV, wait for 5 seconds, and then plug it back in.
- Try turning on your TV. If the capacitors were the problem, the TV should now power on successfully.
That’s it; you’ve successfully artificially refilled the capacitors; assuming they were the problem, your ONN TV should be operational.
4. Check the Power Outlet
While it’s less likely to be the culprit, there’s a chance the issue lies with the power outlet itself. To rule this out, follow these steps:
- Disconnect the power cord from the wall outlet.
- Plug another appliance (like a lamp or phone charger) into the same outlet.
- Turn on the appliance.
- If the appliance turns on, the outlet is functioning properly. In this case, the problem likely lies with the TV itself.
- If the appliance doesn’t turn on, the outlet may be faulty. You can try plugging the TV into a different outlet to see if it powers on.
While this may seem like a minor detail, checking the power source is a crucial step in troubleshooting the problem. By eliminating potential causes, you can get a clearer picture of the issue and determine the next course of action.
5. Skip the Surge Protector
Surge protectors are often used to protect electronics from unexpected power surges. While they serve a valuable purpose, in rare cases, they can malfunction and prevent your TV from turning on.
Here’s how to check if your surge protector is causing the problem:
- Locate the surge protector and unplug your Onn TV from it.
- Plug your TV directly into a wall outlet.
- Try turning on your TV.
If your TV turns on successfully, the problem likely lies with the surge protector. You can try using a different surge protector or bypassing it altogether. However, it’s important to note that doing so may leave your TV vulnerable to power surges.
If your TV still doesn’t turn on, the problem likely lies elsewhere. Continue troubleshooting by following the other steps in this guide.
6. Is Your Power Cable Broken?
A damaged or faulty power cord is often the reason an Onn TV won’t turn on. Here’s how to check:
- Look for fraying, cracks, or exposed wires.
- Check connectors for damage or rust.
- Make sure the cable is securely plugged into both the TV and the wall outlet.
- Push firmly until it clicks in place.
- Verify that the cord isn’t pinched or obstructed by furniture.
- Ensure it’s not excessively stretched or tangled.
- Try another compatible power cord.
- Bypass any extension cords.
- If damaged, replace the power cord with a new one.
If the TV still doesn’t turn on, consult a qualified technician.
7. Make Sure Your Input Is Right
It’s possible that your Onn TV is actually powered on, but you’re viewing the wrong input source. This means the TV is technically working, but you’re not seeing the picture from your desired device.
Here’s how to switch the input source:
Method 1: Using the Onn TV Menu Button
- Short press the button once to bring up the menu.
- Press the button repeatedly to cycle through the different input options: Close, Turn off TV, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3, AV component, and Home.
- Release the button once the desired input option is selected.
- The TV should now display the picture from your chosen device.
For example, to launch HDMI 1, press the button repeatedly until HDMI 1 is highlighted, then release the button.
Method 2: Using the TV Remote Control
- Turn on the TV.
- Locate and press the Home button on the TV remote.
- Use the arrow button to navigate to the correct HDMI input source.
- Select the desired input source corresponding to the HDMI port you’re using for your device (e.g., HDMI1, HDMI2).
- The TV should now display the picture from your chosen device.
Tip: If you’re unsure which input source to choose, refer to your device’s documentation or look for the HDMI port number it’s connected to on the TV.
By ensuring you’re on the correct input source, you can enjoy watching your favorite content on your Onn TV again.
8. Backlight Problem? It’s More Serious
While it’s not the most common problem, a malfunctioning backlight panel can sometimes cause an Onn TV to appear black even when it’s turned on. This issue is more prevalent in budget or older TVs.
What is a Backlight Panel?
Here’s how to check for a backlight issue:
- Turn on your TV.
- In a dark room, aim a flashlight directly at the screen.
- If you can see faint images or outlines on the screen, the backlight panel might be partially functional.
- If you can’t see anything on the screen, even with a flashlight, the backlight panel is likely damaged.
If you suspect a backlight issue, there are two options:
- Contact Onn support: They may offer repair options or replacements depending on the warranty status of your TV.
- Consult a qualified technician: They can diagnose the issue precisely and determine if the backlight panel can be repaired or needs replacement.
Remember: Attempting to repair the backlight panel yourself is not recommended, as it may involve disassembling the TV and handling sensitive electrical components. This can be dangerous and void your warranty.
By following these steps and seeking professional assistance if needed, you can get your Onn TV back up and running in no time.
9. Factory Reset Your Onn TV (Last Resort)
A factory reset will erase all your data and settings from the TV, returning it to its original state. This includes your Wi-Fi connections, apps, accounts, saved passwords, and channel settings. Only proceed if you’re comfortable with this and have backed up any important data beforehand.
Here’s how to factory reset your Onn TV:
- Ensure your TV is plugged into the power outlet.
- Locate the reset button on the back of your TV. It’s usually near the HDMI inputs, inside a small hole.
- You’ll need a small, pointed object like a paperclip or a pen to press the button.
- Insert the object into the hole and press the reset button firmly. You should hear a clicking sound.
- Hold the reset button for 20 seconds.
- The TV will now restart and go through the initial setup process. You’ll need to follow the on-screen prompts to set up your language, Wi-Fi, and other preferences.
- Factory reset should only be performed if other troubleshooting methods have failed.
- If you’re unsure about any steps, consult your TV’s manual or contact Onn support.
By following these steps carefully, you can successfully factory reset your Onn TV and hopefully resolve any persistent issues.
10. Onn Support Can Help
If you’ve tried all the troubleshooting steps above and your Onn TV still won’t turn on, don’t hesitate to contact Onn Support. They are available to help diagnose the issue and provide further assistance.
Here’s how to reach Onn Support:
- Visit the Onn Support website: https://onntvsupport.ca/en
- Browse the FAQ section: You might find answers to common questions about your specific TV model.
- Submit a support ticket: Describe the issue you’re experiencing and provide any relevant details, such as the TV model and the troubleshooting steps you’ve already tried.
- Call the Onn Customer Service line: 1-844-334-2355 (available Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM EST)
- Explain the problem to the representative: They will guide you through additional troubleshooting steps or suggest the best course of action, which may include sending your TV for repair or replacement.
- Onn TV User Manuals: You can find downloadable user manuals for your specific TV model on the Onn Support website.
- Online Forums and Communities: There are online forums and communities dedicated to Onn TVs where you can ask for advice and share your experiences with other users.
Remember: The more information you can provide to Onn Support, the better they can assist you. Be prepared to share details like your TV model number, the date of purchase, and any error messages you’re seeing.
By utilizing the resources available, you can get your Onn TV back up and running in no time.
Preventing Onn TV Won’t Turn On Issues: Proactive Tips
While troubleshooting can help fix your ONN TV that won’t turn ON, taking preventive measures can save you time and frustration down the road. Here are some proactive tips to keep your TV running smoothly:
- Dust regularly: Dust buildup around the vents can obstruct airflow and cause overheating, potentially leading to no power issue. Use a soft, dry cloth to gently dust the vents regularly.
- Avoid direct sunlight: Direct sunlight can damage the TV’s internal components and contribute to overheating. Position your TV in a location with minimal direct sunlight exposure.
- Manage cable connections: Loose or faulty cable connections can cause signal interruptions and lead to a not-turning-on issue. Ensure all cables are securely connected to the TV and the devices they’re attached to.
- Update software: Onn occasionally releases software updates that fix bugs and improve performance. Check for available updates regularly and install them promptly.
- Use a surge protector: Power surges can damage electronic components, including TVs. Use a surge protector to protect your TV from unexpected power fluctuations.
- Adjust power settings: Reducing brightness and screen timeout settings can conserve energy and potentially prevent overheating.
- Handle with care: Avoid physically jarring the TV or placing heavy objects on top of it.
- Power down properly: Don’t just put your TV in standby mode; turn it off completely when not in use. This reduces energy consumption and potential overheating.
- Unplug during storms: During thunderstorms or periods of high electrical activity, unplug the TV to avoid damage from lightning surges.
- Avoid excessive heat: Don’t expose your TV to extreme heat sources like ovens or radiators.
- Regularly check for damage: Inspect the TV and cables regularly for any visible signs of damage.
By following these preventative tips, you can help ensure your Onn TV continues to provide years of entertainment without any unexpected powering issues.
Last Thoughts on ONN TV Not Turning On
This guide can help you identifying the causes behind your ONN TV failing to turn on and can help you fixing them as well!
Remember, simple steps like power cycling and preventative care can go a long way. If you need further assistance, Onn’s dedicated support team is always there to help.
By combining troubleshooting tips with proactive habits, you can enjoy years of uninterrupted entertainment on your beloved Onn TV.
Remember, a little care goes a long way in ensuring optimal performance and longevity for your electronics.