To fix the Onn TV black screen, perform a power cycle. Pull the TV plug out of the wall socket. While the TV is turned off, press and hold the power button for 1-2 minutes. Reconnect your power plug to the wall outlet, and you are ready.
The increasing popularity of Onn TVs in recent years is due to the product’s low price and a good set of features.
There have been reports of a problem with the Onn TV screen when the TV powers on but shows a black screen while still producing sound.
Whether you just bought the TV or are watching your favorite program, this is an annoying condition to have.
This guide will explore potential causes for the Onn TV black screen and offer step-by-step troubleshooting methods.
Diagnosing the Cause of Your Onn TV’s Black Screen Issue
So, let’s get started with the whys.
How did your Onn TV behave this way, and what can you do about it?
- Potential Hardware Failures: The black screen on your Onn TV might be due to a fault in one of the critical internal components: the Power Board, Inverter Board, or T-CON board.
- Power Supply Issues: Inadequate power from a faulty power cable or wall socket could be the reason behind the black screen.
- Software Troubles: Outdated software can cause a black screen, among other functionality issues with your TV.
- Technical Assistance: While diagnosing the black screen issue is often straightforward, fixing internal components is best left to a qualified technician.
Most of the time, the answers to these seemingly intractable problems are relatively easy to find.
Immediate Actions for Onn TVs with Black Screen and Sound
Before continuing, you should do a sound check. If your TV is showing a dark screen but producing sound, you are good to go and troubleshoot your TV!
Follow these steps to ensure that your Onn TV is producing sound:
- Turn on the television
- Adjust the volume to its highest setting.
- Related guide: How to Fix Onn TV that Won’t Turn on?
Fixing the issue will only be necessary if you can hear the sound.
Troubleshooting Onn TV Black Screen Issues
Was the sound check passed? Now, let’s troubleshoot your Onn TV!
1. Perform a Power Cycle on Your Onn TV
Power cycling is a forced restart with an additional step. There is no rocket science here; follow these steps:
- Switch off your TV and unplug it from the wall.
- Find and press the power button on your TV—typically located on the bottom left or center—and hold it until it powers down completely.
- After holding the button for 30 seconds, reconnect the power plug.
- Power on your TV.
This reliable solution resolves many technical issues with Onn Smart TVs.
But if it doesn’t, you should inspect the HDMI cables of your TV.
2. Check for Loose HDMI Connections
You need to double-check that no HDMI wires are disconnected or dangling. (Depending on the make and model of your TV, they may be either on the back or the left or right side.)
Verify the correct insertion and tightness of every plug, cable, and connector.
A loose HDMI cable connection on the TV or the streaming devices might cause your TV to go dark.
- Check all devices and HDMI ports on your TV for proper function.
- Locate the HDMI inputs on your TV’s back.
- Unplug and securely reconnect the HDMI cables to their respective ports.
- Detach and reattach each cable end to its device.
- Turn on the TV to test if the issue is resolved.
There may be an issue with the HDMI cable. Even if you have double-checked and rectified all connections, the TV screen is still black. The HDMI cable should be changed if this is the case.
In addition, you may double-check your TV’s input settings to ensure you have selected the suitable device.
3. Verify the Correct Input Settings
An improper input source is another common cause of an Onn TV black screen.
Let me explain with an example:
- If your Firestick is in HDMI port 1, ensure your Onn TV’s input setting is also on HDMI 1.
- A black screen will appear if the TV is set to an empty HDMI 2.
It is as simple as finding the correct port to connect your device and double-checking that you have selected it as the input source.
Follow these steps to do so:
- Connect your streaming device to HDMI port 1 on the TV.
- Press the input/source button on your remote and select HDMI 1.
- If the black screen continues, connect to HDMI port 2 and switch the input to HDMI 2.
If the issue is resolved by changing to port 2, then the problem is in your HDMI port 1.
4. Inspect the Power Cable for Damage
If the power cord to your television is broken, the TV’s display may stop working because of insufficient power.
If so, check the power cord thoroughly.
- Confirm the TV’s power cable is securely connected to the wall outlet and the TV.
- If the cable shows signs of wear, replace it to avoid damaging your TV.
Another possibility is that the wall plug is broken or otherwise not functional.
5. Check the Wall Outlet for Power
A damaged or malfunctioning power outlet might be to blame for the unresponsive display.
After ensuring the cable is not the problem, try a different electrical socket to see if the Onn TV still has a black screen.
- Try a different outlet for your TV to avoid any problems.
- The wall socket is not at fault if the TV still doesn’t turn on after changing the outlet.
A surge protector may also reduce the amount of power sent to the TV from the outlet.
6. Examine the Surge Protector for Faults
If a surge protector is broken or not performing correctly, removing it from the circuit may fix the issue.
As this is the case, the TV presumably isn’t getting enough power to turn on. More TV problems may need to be addressed after this one is resolved, so it’s not a guarantee that this one will fix the issue.
Pull the TV plug from the surge protector and plug it back into the wall directly.
7. Inspect the Power Board of Your TV
You may go on to the power board after you have verified that the outlet, cable, and surge protector are all in fine working condition. This most likely means that the power board has to be replaced.
Locating the correct replacement method and power board model number for your TV model might be a hassle.
The good news is that it can be fixed at home by anyone with some mechanical knowledge.
First, get a piece of cloth to clean your TV and a container to hold all the screws in one place— lastly, a Phillips-head screwdriver to open the back of your TV.
Once you’ve got everything, then you can replace the power board by following these step-by-step guidelines:
- Put your TV upside down on a clean table and clean the dust using a cloth.
- With the Phillips screwdriver, take out the back panel’s screws.
- Please find all the fuses (most of the Onn models have 6 of them.)
- When a fuse blows, it must be replaced immediately. A blown fuse is a common cause of power outages.
- Try to track down the power supply board and sever the cables that go to it.
- Please take off the board and dispose of it.
- Insert the replacement board and secure it with screws.
- You should reconnect the connections and plug everything back in now.
- Now, put the TV back together.
- Put the cover back on and tighten the screws.
Now plug the TV back into the power outlet and turn it on.
8. Examine the T-CON Board of Your Onn TV
The Onn Smart TV’s display and other features can only be shown or work with the T-CON board’s precise timing. All TVs rely on the vertical and horizontal lines provided by this board.
The T-CON board contains the LCD driver chip, which controls the LCD backlight. In a malfunctioning T-CON board, the available illumination will be significantly reduced. This results in a general dulling of the hues.
Replacement T-CON boards are widely available on marketplaces like Amazon and eBay. From affordable televisions (about $50) to high-end ones (over $100), these circuit boards have a significant price difference.
You can change the T-CON board yourself if you have experience with electronics, but it’s best to have an expert do it if you’re not confident in your abilities.
9. Perform a Flashlight Test to Check the Backlight Panel
The inverter board, responsible for powering the TV’s backlight LED panel, illuminates your screen.
A faulty inverter board may be identified with a flashlight check.
- Locate a powerful flashlight and make sure it works.
- The light source should be adjusted within approximately two inches of the screen.
- To diagnose problems with the inverter board or backlight panel, try flashing the light while it is powered on.
- If you see extremely dim colors on the TV screen while flashing the light, your TV’s inverter board is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced.
Finding an inverter board is easy, but installing it isn’t easy. So, it would be best if you considered calling an electronics mechanic.
There is also a possibility that the inverter board is OK, but the outdated OS is causing this issue. In that case, you should update the OS while flashing the light.
10. Update the TV’s Operating System
NOTE: This solution will only work if your TV passes the flashlight test.
An outdated TV operating system may cause various problems, including a dark screen. A straightforward solution is available in the form of an OS update.
If the auto-update setting on your Onn Roku TV is turned off, you will need to upgrade the OS yourself.
- Flash the light on your TV so you can see the screen, even with dim colors.
- Ensure your TV is connected to the Internet.
- From the left menu on Roku, go to Settings.
- In Settings, go all the way down to System and press OK.
- Now go to System Update and press OK.
- Select Check now.
- It will search for the latest version, and once it has been done, select Update Now.
That is all. Your TV will download and install the latest version of the OS and restart. Hopefully, when the TV restarts, you will be able to see the display.
11. Factory Reset Your Onn TV
If you have done everything we have stated and your Onn TV is still acting up, you can always try resetting it to factory settings. In other words, this is the only option you have.
Follow these steps to factory reset your Onn TV:
- Ensure your TV is powered on.
- Next, look for the reset button. It is often on the TV’s back, near the HDMI inputs, inside a small hole.
- Get a paper clip or a needle, insert it inside the hole, and press and hold the reset button. (You will hear a click once the button is pressed.)
- Release the button after 20 seconds.
Your Onn TV will restart with the original factory settings.
12. Contact Onn Customer Support for Further Assistance
If you have followed all the steps outlined and the issue persists, contacting Onn Customer Support is recommended. They can provide additional guidance and assistance.
If you have any questions about your Onn TV, you may find the answers you’re looking for there.
If your TV is malfunctioning, you may call Onn for assistance, and they will instruct you on what to do.
Conclusion: Addressing Onn Roku TV Black Screen Issues
In conclusion, several issues, ranging from simple cable misconnections to more complex hardware malfunctions, can result in a black screen on your Onn TV.
You may fix these issues by giving the device a soft reset or switching the input source. If the screen remains black after resetting, the T-CON board is broken, or the LED backlight is out.
These troubleshooting steps are designed to help you identify and fix the problem. If none resolve the issue, professional support is advised.
- TCL TV Black Screen
- RCA TV Black Screen
- Who makes Onn TVs?
- Sceptre TV Black Screen
- Hisense TV Black Screen
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why is my Onn TV not turning on, but the Red light is on?
Ensure your TV is appropriately connected to an operational outlet and all cables and connections are tight. Next, try turning the TV off and back on again.
How to Reset Onn TV with Black Screen?
You may do so by going to Settings > Support > Self Diagnostics > Reset using the remote control. If your Onn TV has Roku OS, go to Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory Reset.
Why does my Onn TV screen flash and then go black?
The HDMI cable might be broken, so that would be the first thing to check. If the TV has a software problem, rebooting it by disconnecting it from the wall for five minutes is another solution.
Depending on your specific Onn TV model, the reset button may be located in a different place. Nonetheless, it’s usually located at the TV’s base or on its back.