A simple solution to fix an Insignia TV that won’t turn ON is power cycling. Unplug your TV from the power outlet, and wait for 30 seconds. While you are waiting, press and hold the power button on the TV. After 30 seconds, release the button, plug your TV back into the power source, and turn it ON. Hopefully, it will fix the issue!
Are you having trouble turning on your Insignia TV? Let me help you fix it. Sometimes, electronic devices can experience technical difficulties, and televisions are no exception.
If your Insignia TV is not powering, there could be several reasons.
In this guide, I will explore common issues preventing your TV from powering up and potential solutions to get it running again.
Why My Insignia TV Won’t Turn ON?
When your Insignia TV refuses to turn ON, it can be frustrating and worrisome. However, before you go on and troubleshoot it to fix it, you must be aware of the potential causes.
- Cache Buildup: Most of the time, the cache is built up in your TV’s RAM, which can cause a scenario in which your TV continuously fails to turn ON.
- Dust Buildup: If your Insignia TV is quite old (3-4 years), there might be a lot of dust built up in the internal hardware, which can cause the TV to malfunction.
- Overcharged Capacitors: Internal component failure or overcharged capacitors are also possible.
- Power Source: Power source is another culprit. Your TV might be good, but the power source is probably dead.
- Power Cord: If your TV is quite old, so is the power cord and the power cord is extremely vulnerable because of being flexible.
- Remote Control: Sometimes, your TV’s remote control is not functioning, which can cause an issue if you are trying to turn on your TV using the remote only.
Troubleshooting is never fun, but there are certain things you may do before giving up and contacting an expert.
How to Fix Insignia TV That Won’t Turn On?
I will try to provide the solutions in plain simple English, which you can follow to fix your TV by yourself.
With that said, let’s troubleshoot your Insignia TV.
Method 1: Power Cycle Your Insignia TV
Power cycling, better known as soft reset, is a technique that can fix many minor issues in electrical devices. It is similar to restarting but a little more advanced.
Follow these steps to power cycle your Insignia TV:
- Turn OFF your Insignia TV.
- Unplug it from the wall outlet.
- Press and hold the power button on the TV for 30-60 seconds while it is unplugged.
- After some time, release the button, and wait another 5 minutes.
- Now plug it back into the wall outlet and turn it ON.
It removes any charge from the capacitors and clears the cache built up from the RAMs, giving your TV a fresh start.
Power cycling is a tried and tested approach for fixing an Insignia TV that won’t turn on, but if it doesn’t work for you, try one of the other options below.
While you are power cycling your TV, you can do it on your TV’s remote as well.
- Simply remove the batteries from the Insignia remote control.
- While the batteries are out, press and hold the remote’s power button.
- After 30 seconds, release the button.
- Put the batteries back inside.
That is it! Not exactly a feat of genius, but it typically works.
Method 2: Try a Different Power Outlet
The wall outlet might be dead, preventing electricity from reaching your TV. It’s very unlikely; however, this issue may come up.
You might try plugging the TV into a different socket to see if the problem persists.
If you’re tired of lugging your TV set around, you can always plug in another tiny appliance in its place.
If that appliance powers on, you may assume the outlet is OK; if it doesn’t, you know the particular problem here is not your Insignia TV.
While this is unlikely to be the root of the issue, it is an excellent candidate to rule out while you investigate more.
Method 3: Remove the Surge Protector and Connect to Power Source Directly
Surge protectors are extensively employed to safeguard electronic equipment from being damaged by abrupt fluctuations in voltage, which may sometimes occur.
It is also possible that the surge protector you’re using is to blame for your Insignia TV not turning ON when you try to use it.
Therefore, unplug the TV, remove it from the surge protector, and then plug it back into the power outlet.
If it works, well and good; if not, continue following other troubleshooting methods.
Method 4: Ensure your Insignia TV’s Power Cable is in Good Condition
A frayed or broken power cord is the most common cause of a non-working Insignia TV.
Here are a few ways to check if your power cable is properly connected or not:
- You must properly hook the power cable to the TV and power outlet. (A little slack in the cable might disrupt the current and give the impression that you’ve disconnected the TV.)
- The plug has to have inserted securely. (It’s a good idea to disconnect and plug it back in again, just to be sure.)
- Connecting the wire to the back of the TV and ensuring the TV is plugged into an active power outlet go hand in hand. When kids or pets are around, or the TV is placed far from the wall outlet, the power wire may easily get unplugged.
- It is more probable that the extension cable will get disconnected when the TV is turned or relocated if it is longer.
Follow this checklist to ensure the cable is in connected properly to the TV and power source, and then turn ON the TV.
Method 5: Change the Input to the Correct Source
It is also possible that your Insignia TV is turned ON, but it doesn’t seem to be because of an incorrect input source.
If that is the case, all you have to do is to select the correct source, and your suffering will end for the better.
If you want to watch anything from a streaming device, game console, or smart device, you must ensure the TV’s source/input is set to the correct HDMI port.
You can change the input source using the following methods:
- Using Remote Control
- Using On-Board TV buttons
With that said, let’s follow each method’s steps.
Change the Input Source of your Insignia TV using Remote
Note: In the past, old Insignia TV models used to have the INPUT button on their remotes, while newer Insignia TV models now typically include the input button only on the TV itself, removing it from the remote.
- While your TV is powered, press the “INPUT button” on your Insignia remote control.
- Select the correct input where you have plugged a device. (HDMI 1, HDMI 2 etc.)
- Find and press the “Input button” to open the input selection list.
- Now press the button a few more times until the input of your choice highlighted and wait a few seconds.
- The TV will then switch to that input source.
A few of the old Insignia TVs have a dedicated source button on their backs, which you can press to select the source directly.
Method 6: Factory Reset your Insignia TV
If nothing has worked so far, you can proceed with the factory resetting option.
Since your TV is not turning ON, the only option you have to factory reset is by using the Onboard buttons.
Factory reset will erase any changes you make to your TV’s settings. The condition will revert to the original manufacturing state. As a result, your personalized preferences will need to be readjusted after a reset to factory defaults.
So, follow these steps:
- Unplug your TV from the power outlet.
- Now press and hold the TV power button.
- While holding the power button, plug your TV back into the power outlet.
- You can release the button once you see the Insignia Logo on your TV screen.
- This process will take you to the Recovery Screen.
- Press the power button to navigate the menu, and press it continuously until you land on the “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” option.
- Once landed, press and hold the power button to activate the given option. (The option will turn green once activated.)
- It will give you a warning; select “Yes” by holding the power button again.
- After the factory reset, “Data wipe complete” will appear at the bottom left of the screen.
- Lastly, select “Reboot system now.”
This is it; your TV will restart and return to its original factory state. From there, you will have to go through the initial setup again.
Method 7: Ensure the Backlight of your Insignia TV is not Broken
Most Insignia TVs have problems with their hardware when the backlight or blue light stops working.
Even though the image on your TV is blank, the power indicator should be glowing. That indicates a problem with either the motherboard or the backlight panel.
- Light a flashlight up and point it towards the screen of your television.
- Check whether you can make out any text or images on the display. If you can see any visible image, there is a 100% chance that the backlight is broken and needs to be replaced.
If your TV’s LED backlight is not functioning, you may take it to a repair shop or replace the panel yourself if you’re handy with electronics.
Method 8: Check your TV’s Power Board
There is also a possibility that your TV’s power board (also known as power supply) is burnt. The only option to find it out is to open the back panel of your TV and get into the internal hardware.
Depending on the model of Insignia TV you have, locating the power board’s model number and figuring out how to replace it might be challenging. The good news is that anybody with simple mechanical ability can repair it at home.
Changing out the power board in a Vizio TV is a tricky process. Proceed cautiously and at your own risk; you will not hold me responsible for any harm resulting from your actions. Seek expert advice if you are uncertain.
These are the tools you need to proceed:
- A microfiber cloth for cleaning and dusting.
- A container to hold all the screws.
- A Philips screwdriver to open all the screws.
Once you get all of these tools, follow these steps to replace the board:
- Start by cleaning a tabletop and put your Insignia TV on it facing down.
- Open the screws on the back of your TV, and remove the back coverings.
- Find the power board and disconnect the cables connected to it.
- Unscrew the power board, and find the model number written on it.
- Now you have the model number of the power board; you can easily buy it on Amazon or from your local electronics store.
- Once you get the new power board, screw it onto the location from which you removed the old one.
- Connect the cables to the new power board.
- Put the back coverings into their place.
- Screw the back again.
- Plug your TV into the power source and turn it ON.
That is it! It will hopefully fix the issue.
Method 9: Contact Insignia Support
If none of the above solutions works, it’s best to contact Insignia Support for further assistance.
They have a dedicated team of technical experts who can help diagnose the issue and provide appropriate solutions.
These troubleshooting steps are general suggestions and may not resolve all issues. If your Insignia TV still won’t turn on, it’s always best to seek professional assistance from the manufacturer or authorized service.
Last Thoughts on Insignia TV Won’t Turn ON
In conclusion, dealing with an Insignia TV that won’t turn ON can be frustrating, but you must consider several potential solutions before buying a new one.
First, make sure that the power source is not the issue. Ensure you have securely plugged the power cable into the TV and wall outlet. Additionally, try plugging another device into the same outlet to ensure that it is providing power.
If the power source is not the problem, it’s worth trying a power reset. Unplug the TV from the power source and wait at least one minute. Then, plug it back in and attempt to turn it on again. It can resolve minor glitches and electrical issues.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The newer Insignia TVs (especially the Fire OS) do not have input buttons on their remote controls, so the only way you can change the input without display is by using the onboard buttons.
What will happen if I do something wrong after opening my Insignia TV Hardware?
If you have no experience with hardware or electronics, the best way is to bring your TV to a specialist or call the Insignia helpline.
How to know if my Insignia TV’s internal components are at fault?
If you have tried all the troubleshoots mentioned in this guide, and none of them are working, and your TV is showing no signs of turning ON, or you can see any brownish fluids coming out of your TV, your TV’s internal components are damaged.
Can I get my Insignia TV replaced if it won’t turn ON?
Yes, Insignia provides a 1-year warranty for all of their TVs. So if something goes wrong and your TV is still under warranty, you can get it replaced by calling them.