To connect your Wyze camera to WiFi, start by installing the Wyze app and creating an account. Once logged in, tap the “+” icon, select your camera model, and then proceed by following the on-screen instructions. This will facilitate a swift and hassle-free WiFi connection for your Wyze camera.
Have you had enough of overly technical, unclear directions for connecting your Wyze Cam to your home network?
Stop right there! Following this simple guide, you can link your Wyze Cam to your home wireless network in no time.
No matter how experienced or inexperienced you are with smart home technology, we have everything you need to connect quickly and easily.
So, grab your Wyze Cam, and let’s get started!
In case you want to connect an already connected Wyze cam to a new WiFi connection, jump to the correct section!
How to Connect Wyze Cam to WiFi for the First Time?
Connecting your new Wyze Cam to your WiFi network is the first step in utilizing it once you’ve unboxed it.
Follow this step-by-step guide:
- First of all, install the Wyze app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
- Open the app and log in to your Wyze account. (If you don’t have an account, create a new one and log in.)
- Tap on the “+” icon in the app’s top-left corner.
- Tap on “Add Device.”
- Tap on “Cameras.”
- Select your Wyze Camera model from the list.
- From there, follow the prompts inside the app, as each model’s procedure is a bit different. (Though I will still explain the general setup information below.)
In most cases, you must plug the camera into a power outlet and press the setup button and wait for the led indicator to either flash red or yellow, depending on your Wyze cam model.
After the indicator light starts flashing, pull out the wyze base, press and hold the “Setup” button on the bottom of the camera until you hear “Ready to connect.”
You will have to allow Bluetooth access to the mobile app and tap the “Begin Setup” button on the app. Now select the WiFi network and enter the password and ensure to select 2.4 GHz networks only.
All of the Wyze cam models can only connect to 2.4 GHz networks as the 2.4 GHz band covers more area compared to more advanced 5 GHz networks.
Tap the Next button after entering the WiFi details. Now you will see a QR on your app that you must scan using the camera. Point the camera lens to your phone screen about three inches away until you hear “QR code scanned please wait.”
After scanning, check the box next to “I heard, “QR code scanned.” tap the Next button again, type a name for this camera device in your Wyze app, and tap the Finish button.
That is all! You have successfully connected the Wyze security camera to your home WiFi network. Now, you have to update the firmware to the latest version.
Update the Firmware of your Wyze Cam
Once you add your new Wyze cam to the mobile app, it will prompt you to install the latest firmware, and it is always good to do it right away.
Tap on the “Upgrade now” button and tap “Update.” It will start updating the firmware. You will not be able to stream your camera while it is updating.
While the camera updates, please leave the app open and keep the camera plugged into the power outlet.
It will take 5-10 minutes; once it is done, the cam will restart itself.
You can also update the firmware manually, as shown in the image below.
How to Connect Wyze Cam to a New Wi-Fi Network?
As I have said before, you can change your wireless connection to a 2.4 GHz network only.
Connecting your Wyze Cam to a different WiFi network is extremely easy.
You can do it using the mobile app or by factory resetting your Wyze camera.
Change the WiFi connection on Wyze Cam using the Mobile App
You will not lose any customized settings with any Wyze Cam model except the “Wyze Cam Outdoor” model. After switching to a new WiFi network, you must reconfigure your Wyze Cam Outdoor to your desired specifications.
The process is simple yet confusing for some. All you have to do is delete the camera from the Wyze app, then add it again, just like you are doing it for the first time.
To delete the camera, follow these steps:
- Open the Wyze app.
- Tap on the “Livestream” of the Wyze Cam model you want to delete.
- Tap on “Settings.”
- Scroll down and tap on “Delete device.”
After deleting the camera, connect your phone to the new WiFi connection from which you want to connect your camera.
Then follow the above guide: How to Connect Wyze Cam to WiFi for the First Time?
It is that simple!
Change the WiFi connection on Wyze Cam by performing Factory Reset
Factory resetting is another method to change the WiFi connection for your security cam.
Though with this method, your cam will return to its original factory settings, and you will have to do all the custom settings again.
The only case I would prefer to perform the factory reset on my Wyze cam is if I fail to connect it to a new WiFi using the Wyze app.
So, if you have decided to factory reset your Wyze cam for any optimal reason, you can do it by following these steps:
- The first step is to remove the cam from the Wyze mobile app.
- To do that, simply log in to your Wyze account, select the Camera, go to Settings, and tap on Delete device.
- After deleting, remove the SD card from the cam. (If you haven’t installed any SD card in your cam, you can ignore this step.)
- Plug the cam into a power outlet, pull the cam’s base, and press the Setup button.
- In a few seconds, you will hear a sound from your cam saying, “Ready to connect.”
It indicates that your cam has been reset, and you can now set it up in the app again.
Simply connect your phone to the new WiFi and follow the first guide to add the cam to the Wyze app again.
Wyze Camera not Connecting to WiFi: Troubleshooting Guide!
If your Wyze camera can’t connect to your WiFi network, don’t panic; you may do a few things to fix the problem.
Let’s discuss a few of the solutions!
1. Restart your Wyze Cam and Home Router
Restarting the camera and the wireless router in your house is an excellent initial step to take.
In many cases, this will permanently fix the camera’s network connectivity.
- You can restart your Wyze cam by unplugging it from its power supply, waiting a few seconds, and reconnecting it.
- The same goes for the router. Unplug, wait a few seconds, and then replug it back. This method, often known as “power cycling,” is typically effective in resolving connection difficulties.
Wait a few minutes after finishing the restarting process before rejoining your Wyze Cam to your WiFi network to ensure that all devices have finished restarting correctly.
If this doesn’t fix the problem, you may go on to the next step in the troubleshooting process.
2. Check your Wi-Fi network SSID and Password
You must verify the SSID and password for your wireless network. Incorrect information will prevent a connection from being established.
- First and foremost, ensure that the WiFi you are trying your Wyze cam to connect to is a 2.4 GHz network.
- After that, connect your phone to the same WiFi network you want to connect your Wyze cam with before continuing with the device addition process.
- While adding the camera to the Wyze app, enter the correct password. (The Wyze app has to be updated with the new WiFi password if you just changed it.)
If you’ve double-checked everything and your Wyze Cam still won’t connect to your WiFi network, move on to the next solution.
3. Ensure that your Wyze Cam Firmware is Up-to-Date
Keeping the firmware updated on your Wyze Cam is essential to its proper functioning.
Follow these steps to ensure you are running the latest version:
- Open the Wyze app.
- Select the cam which is troubling you.
- Tap on the “Settings gear icon” in the app’s top-right corner.
- Scroll down and tap “Device Info.”
- Look at the “Firmware Version” section to ensure you have the most recent update.
In case you have already deleted the cam from the app, or have never added it to the app, then your cam must be running the factory firmware.
You can find it on the bottom of your cam, written on a sticker.
You need a MicroSD card, its adapter, and a computer to flash the latest firmware to the Wyze cam.
With that said, let’s flash the latest firmware.
- Insert the MicroSD card into its adapter and then into your computer or laptop.
- Format your SD card into FAT32 format.
- Go to the Wyze website and download the newest released firmware for your specific Wyze cam model.
- Unzip the downloaded file, and put it into the MicroSD card’s root directory.
- Rename the file according to your Wyze cam model. Below you will find the file names for all of the Wyze cameras.
|Wyze cam v1
|Wyze cam v2
|Wyze cam v3
|Wyze cam PAN v1
|Wyze cam PAN v2
|Wyze cam PAN v3
- After renaming the file, remove the SD card from the computer.
- Turn off the Wyze cam, and insert the card into the camera.
- Hold the Setup button on the cam and plug in the USB power cable.
- Keep holding the Setup button for 12-15 seconds for Wyze cam v1 and 5-6 seconds for other models.
- The camera will take 5-6 minutes to flash to the latest firmware.
The cam will do its thing and might restart itself once it finishes updating. You should not do anything while it is flashing itself!
You can also visit this official Wyze guide to understand each specific model’s steps better.
4. Disable Mac Filtering on your Router
I was investigating connection difficulties with my Wyze Cam and came across the possibility that my router’s MAC filtering was to blame.
It implies that only approved devices may access the network, which might leave out my Wyze Cam. Disabling MAC filtering on my router should address the problem.
Depending on the make and model of your router, you may find this setting in a different menu. Even so, it’s generally in the preferences somewhere. When you get there, just uncheck the “Enable MAC filtering” option and then save the configuration.
Doing this will allow your Wyze Cam to connect to the network without issues. If you’d rather not mess with the configuration of your router, you can still give your Wyze Cam access to the internet by adding its MAC address to the whitelist.
5. Ensure your WiFi Signal is Strong Enough
Weak network signals are another typical cause of Wyze Camera’s inability to connect to WiFi. The WiFi signal may be too weak to maintain a connection if the camera is far from the router or in an area with walls or other barriers.
You may achieve strong WiFi signals by either moving the router closer to the camera or the camera to the router. A WiFi extender or booster may help you cover a larger area with your network.
Changing to a new WiFi network with a better signal could help if none of these options do. It may sometimes need resetting your wyze cam and connecting it to the new network, as discussed above in this guide.
6. Factory Reset your Wyze Cam
If your Wyze Cam still doesn’t connect to WiFi after doing everything else, you may need to reset it to factory settings.
How to factory reset your Wyze Cam v1/v2/v3 or Pan v1/v2?
Find the Setup button on the base of your Wyze Cam and press and hold it for 10 seconds to return the camera to its factory settings. However, for a Wyze Cam v1, you should hold it for 30 seconds.
Wait for your cam to restart, and then you can proceed to add it into the Wyze app to setup.
Remember that resetting to factory settings is a drastic measure only if all other troubleshooting attempts have failed. After resetting the camera, if you still have connectivity issues, it may be a hardware issue. You will need to contact Wyze support.
8. Contact Wyze Customer Care
If your Wyze Camera still doesn’t connect to your WiFi network after you’ve done everything, it may be time to contact Wyze Customer Care.
You may either call their helpline or visit their website to create a ticket with your information. Keep the serial number of your camera close at hand, as well as any error messages you may have seen.
Wyze customer care is well-known for its expertise and helpfulness. They may have ideas for fixing the problem I have not covered in this guide. Remember that they probably have a lot of clients at once, so be patient and kind.
Wyze Customer Care may also be able to assist you with a replacement or refund if your camera is still covered under warranty but beyond repair.
Can I use Wyze Cam without the Internet?
Yes, you surely can.
One of the best ways to use the Wyze Cam without an internet connection is to record directly to a microSD card. After installing a microSD card and setting up your Wyze Cam, the next step is to plug the camera into an available power source.
You may watch offline recordings by removing the microSD card and inserting it into a computer.
If the microSD card fills up, the camera will start recording over previously recorded footage in a loop. The recordings must be checked and saved regularly to prevent them from being lost to overwriting.
All things considered, using a microSD card with your Wyze Cam is an excellent alternative for offline recording and enables simple access to your film without requiring a continual internet connection.
Last Thoughts on How To Connect Wyze Camera To WiFi
To sum up, all it takes to link your Wyze Cam to your home Wi-Fi network is to download the Wyze app, register for an account, and follow the on-screen directions. On an important note, you can only connect your Wyze cam to a 2.4 GHz network.
You can change the WiFi network on your Wyze cameras by resetting it to factory settings or by removing and re-adding the camera to the mobile app to allow them to connect to a new wireless network.
- Steps to view Wyze Cam on PC
- Wyze Camera Making Static Noise
- Troubleshooting Wyze error code 90
- Fixing Wyze Cam event recording problems
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why my Wyze cam is not connecting to WiFi?
The distance between the Wyze base station and the router is often to blame. Make sure that the base station can communicate with the router. Verify the strength of your WiFi connection.
Why is my Wyze camera showing offline?
Most often, this is due to a problem with the camera’s network connection, which may be fixed by rebooting the device or investigating the network.
How do I know if my WiFi is 2.4 Ghz?
Access the WiFi settings on your router’s admin interface. Once you enter the wireless settings, you can view the network names and passwords for your wireless networks.
How do I set up offline recording with a microSD card?
By placing a microSD card into your Wyze Cam and Go to Wyze app > select camera > settings > advanced settings > and turn on “Record to MicroSD Card”, you may set up the camera for offline recording.