Casting your Oculus Quest 2 gameplay on a TV can be a great way to share the VR experience with others.
When using a VR headset, it can be difficult for others to see what is happening inside the headset since only the user can see it. By casting the gameplay on a TV, you can show your friends and family what you are seeing and let them join in on the fun.
The Oculus Quest can be cast to your phone right out of the box with the Oculus mobile application. One of the most common ways to cast to a TV is via a Chromecast.
But Chromecast costs money, and if your TV doesn’t have a built-in Chromecast, what to do then? Let’s discuss how to Cast Oculus Quest 2 to a TV without Chromecast!
How to Cast Oculus Quest 2 to a TV without Chromecast?
In this guide, I will discuss 6 ways you can cast Oculus Quest 2 gameplay to your TV without using Chromecast. However, you will need a laptop that doesn’t require to be particularly good but also not that ancient, and it requires to be connected to the same router as your Oculus.
Without further ado, let’s jump right in!
1. Cast Oculus Quest 2 with the AirReciever App
First of all, download the AirReciever program from the Microsoft store. It costs $2.99, which is relatively cheap compared to a Chromecast.
This software will cause your computer to be seen as a Chromecast and be able to stream media from it.
Once done, follow these steps:
- From the Oculus Right-Controller, press the Oval Oculus button. (This will bring up a menu.)
- Click on the Sharing menu, which has the options to Record the video, Take a Photo, and Cast.
- Click the Cast option.
- You will be able to see your laptop in the casting menu; select it from there, and it will start streaming there right away.
Now, you can connect your laptop to your TV via an HDMI cable to stream on your TV. Change the input source of your TV to the HDMI slot where you have plugged in your laptop, and you are good to go!
2. Cast Oculus Quest 2 using SideQuest Wireless Casting Feature
Sidequest is a third-party application that allows users to install and manage games unavailable in the Quest library.
One of the features of Sidequest is the ability to cast Oculus Quest 2 gameplay to your laptop or computer.
Once the sidequest is installed, follow this guide:
- Ensure your Oculus Quest 2 and your laptop are connected to the same router.
- Connect your Quest 2 to your laptop using a USB cable.
- Click on the wireless icon in the SideQuest app.
- Click on the Connect button to access wireless mode.
- To cast the Quest, click on the TV-looking icon near the Wireless icon.
- Your gameplay will be cast on your laptop right away.
- Now, connect your laptop to your TV via an HDMI cable to watch the stream on your TV.
Enjoy streaming your Quest 2 gameplay on your TV without Chromecast.
3. Cast Oculus Quest 2 to TV using an Android Phone
Screen mirroring is yet another method for sending content from your Oculus Quest 2 to your TV. If you own an Android phone and have access to a wireless network at home, this may be an appropriate option for you.
If you want to share what’s on your Oculus Quest 2 on your TV, follow these guidelines:
- First, ensure that your Oculus Quest 2, Android phone, and TV are connected to the same wireless network.
- Download the Oculus Mobile application on your Android phone.
- Once downloaded, open the application and connect your Oculus VR headset to the app. (You will find the setup instructions inside the app.)
- Enable the app’s casting feature. Once done, your Oculus Quest 2 will send whatever is currently being shown inside the headset to your phone.
- Then, connect your Android phone to the TV by using its built-in screen mirroring app.
If your Android phone doesn’t include a screen mirroring app, you can still get the job done using an app like “Miracast,” which you can download from Google Play Store.
Once all connections have been made, you may start streaming your VR gameplay from your Oculus Quest 2 to your TV.
4. Cast Oculus Quest 2 on Samsung TV without Chromecast
Casting your Oculus Quest gameplay to your Samsung TV is only possible if your Oculus Quest 2 runs v10.0 or above. Pair your Oculus Quest 2 with your Samsung TV from the settings inside your headset, and you are good to go.
Follow these guidelines:
- Ensure your Oculus Quest 2 and your Samsung TV are connected to the same wireless network.
- Turn ON your Samsung TV and Oculus headset.
- Your Samsung TV should be set up to allow casting, but you should double-check, just in case.
- Inside your Oculus Quest 2 headset, go to Utilities and select Cast To.
- Find your Samsung TV from the list of available devices and select Next.
That’s it; you will soon see a notification Casting Started which means your Oculus Quest 2 is successfully connected to your Samsung TV and your Oculus is being cast.
For an in-depth article related, check How to Cast Oculus Quest 2 to Samsung TV.
5. Cast Oculus Quest 2 using Facebook
Although this way of casting Oculus Quest 2 is the simplest, it also requires you to log in with your Facebook account, so you may not want to if you don’t want your friends to see your gameplay.
If you want to proceed with this method, you must share from the inside of your headset to your Facebook. Now you can open up Facebook on your computer/laptop and maximize the screen and connect your laptop to your TV via an HDMI cable to stream on your TV.
If your smart TV has Facebook, you can directly open it on your TV and stream it from there.
To conclude, buy a Chromecast because it makes streaming your gameplay from Oculus Quest 2 extremely easy. Not only does it provide additional options, but its picture quality is also superior to that of other approaches.
If you don’t have a Chromecast device, you can still use this guide to hook your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset to your smart TV. It’s essential to keep in mind that when you cast Oculus VR without Chromecast, the visual quality may suffer significantly. Other than that, the approach to casting Oculus VR without Chromecast is very complex.
- Do You Need a PC for Oculus Quest 2?
- How to Stream Oculus Quest 2 to Twitch?
- How to Connect AirPods to Oculus Quest 2?