The factory reset process for all Wyze camera models is the same. Simply locate the Setup button on the back of the camera and hold it down while the camera is powered on. This will initiate a factory reset. However, the method for reconnecting your camera to the Wyze mobile app varies depending on the specific model.
If your Wyze Cam is malfunctioning or you want to start over, resetting it to factory settings might help.
Restoring your Wyze Cam to its factory settings makes it look and function like you just took it out of the box. It may clear the decks and allow you to start fresh.
In this guide, I will explain how to factory reset your Wyze Cam and provide some context on why you would want to do so!
What is Factory Resetting?
Factory resetting is the process of restoring a device to its original manufacturer settings, essentially wiping out all personalized configurations and data.
In the case of a Wyze Cam, this means erasing all settings, including your WiFi network information, account details, and camera preferences.
It is important to note that you cannot undo a factory reset, so it’s crucial to back up any data or settings you want to keep before proceeding with the reset.
When to Factory Reset Your Wyze Cam
Consider a factory reset when experiencing prolonged connectivity issues, like when your Wyze camera fails to connect despite several troubleshooting attempts.
There are a few instances where factory resetting your Wyze Cam might be necessary or beneficial:
- Troubleshooting: If your Wyze Cam is experiencing frequent connectivity issues, lag, freezing, or other performance problems, a factory reset can help resolve these issues by starting with a clean state.
- Changing WiFi Networks: If you have moved to a new location or upgraded your home network, you must connect your Wyze Cam to the new WiFi network. A factory reset is typically required to clear the existing network settings on the camera and enable a fresh connection.
- Selling or Giving Away: If you plan to sell or give away your Wyze Cam, a factory reset ensures that your personal information, login credentials, and camera settings are completely removed from the device.
Note: Keep in mind that performing a factory reset on your Wyze Cam will erase any video recordings that haven’t been saved. It’s important to let the camera complete its uploading process before starting the reset. Also, if you have several Wyze Cams, remember that you’ll need to reset each one separately.
With that said, let’s move to actual factory resetting steps for each Wyze cam.
How to Factory Reset Wyze Cam v1/v2 or Pan v1/v2?
Note: These steps were accurate at the time of writing. Always check the latest Wyze documentation for any updates to the reset process.
If you have a Wyze Cam v1/v2 or Pan v1/v2 and need to factory reset it, follow these steps:
- Remove the SD card from the camera if there is any.
- Ensure your camera is powered ON.
- Press the ‘Setup button’ (a small button usually located at the camera’s base) for 10 seconds. (20 Seconds for v1.)
- The status LED will show a solid yellow light indicating that the factory reset has been initiated.
- Once the status LED starts flashing yellow light, it means the camera is ready to set up again.
Once you see a flashing yellow light, you can set up the camera again.
How to Factory Reset Wyze Cam v3/v3 Pro/OG/Floodlight/Pan v3?
The Wyze Cam Floodlight has an integrated v3 camera, which is why the factory resetting process is the same.
If you have a Wyze Cam v3, v3 Pro, OG, Floodlight, or Pan v3, follow these steps to reset it:
- Remove the SD card from your camera if you have installed any.
- Ensure your camera is powered ON.
- Press and hold the “Setup button” on the bottom of the camera for 10 seconds.
- Release the Setup button after 20 seconds.
- The camera’s status light will turn “solid red” to indicate the factory reset is in progress.
Once the status light starts “flashing red,” it is ready to set up again.
How to Factory Reset Wyze Cam Floodlight Pro?
To factory reset a Wyze Floodlight Pro, follow these steps:
- Start by removing the SD card from the camera.
- When the camera is powered ON, press and hold the “Setup button” on the back for 10 seconds or until you see a solid red light on the bottom of the camera.
- After a few minutes, the status light on the bottom of the camera will start “flashing purple,” indicating that the camera is ready to set up again.
Once you see the flashing purple light, you can set it up again.
How to Factory Reset Wyze Cam Outdoor?
Unfortunately, you cannot factory reset the Wyze cam outdoor model. If you face any issue with Wyze outdoor cameras, you can only power cycle them to fix the problem.
I have written this guide on power cycle Wyze cameras so you can follow this one for outdoor cams.
Why Wyze Outdoor Cams Lack Factory Reset Feature?
While the exact reason for not including a factory reset feature in Wyze Outdoor Cams remains unclear, the company officially cites security concerns as the primary rationale. This decision aims to prevent stolen cameras from being easily reset and used by unauthorized individuals.
Common Issues Resolved by Factory Reset
So, now I have guided you on factory resetting different Wyze cam models. Let me walk you through a few common issues you can fix by factory resetting.
1. Connection issues
If your Wyze Cam keeps dropping off your network or won’t connect, resetting it to factory settings is usually the best solution.
A factory reset can often fix connection problems by removing incorrect settings or network issues. After the reset, you must re-set up the camera for a new, solid connection.
2. Performance issues
Your Wyze Cam’s performance, including lag, freezing, and poor reaction times, may degrade with time. Bugs in the program, too much data, or anything else may cause these problems.
Resetting the camera to factory settings helps wipe up any lingering temporary files or settings that might slow it down.
When you reset it, it should run more efficiently and more smoothly.
3. Software glitches
If your Wyze Cam becomes unresponsive because of software problems, upgrading the firmware following a factory reset is recommended to ensure the camera operates optimally and maintains stability.
If your Wyze Cam is experiencing any of these difficulties, you may quickly and easily fix it by performing a factory reset.
How to Reconnect Wyze Cam after Factory Resetting?
Once you perform the factory reset, you must reset the camera in your Wyze account.
I have written a detailed guide on connecting your Wyze cam to WiFi here.
First, you must delete the camera from your account after resetting it. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open the Wyze app, and select the camera you have recently reset.
- Tap on the “Settings gear icon” in the top right corner.
- Scroll down to the bottom and tap on “Delete Device.”
- The app will ask for confirmation; tap “Yes” to confirm your action.
After deletion, you can now proceed to add the camera back into your Wyze account:
- Tap the “Plus +” icon on the top-left corner of the Wyze app.
- Select “Add Device” and tap on “Cameras.”
- Select your “Camera Model” from the list of available options.
The process from here on differs for each model. In short, the process continues from the flashing lights where we left it in the above factory resetting method.
The LED status light on your camera must be flashing red, yellow, or purple, depending on your Wyze cam model.
From there on, you can follow the on-screen guidelines to finish the setup procedure.
Benefits of Factory Resetting Wyze Cam
As a long-time user and expert in Wyze cameras, I can say that factory resetting your Wyze Cam can have several benefits, including:
- Resolving Technical Issues: If you’re experiencing any technical issues with your Wyze Cam, a factory reset can help troubleshoot and resolve these problems. It can clear any software glitches or conflicts affecting the camera’s performance.
- Enhancing Performance: Over time, your Wyze Cam may accumulate unnecessary data or settings that can slow down its performance. By factory resetting the camera, you can restore it to its default settings, optimizing its performance and responsiveness.
- Restoring Privacy and Security: If you’re selling or giving away your Wyze Cam, a factory reset ensures that your personal information and settings are permanently removed from the device. It helps protect your privacy and prevents unauthorized access to your camera.
If you are performing a factory reset for troubleshooting purposes, try to power cycle your camera first and try other troubleshooting techniques. A factory reset should always be your last resort!
Final Thoughts on Wyze Cam Reset
Resetting your Wyze Cam to factory settings is an easy way to fix technical problems, improve performance, and restore your privacy and security.
Whether your camera is malfunctioning or you’re just getting ready to hand it off to someone else, a factory reset is the best course of action.
To guarantee a successful reset, follow the instructions in this guide thoroughly.
- Wyze Cam Is Beeping Or Chirping
- Wyze cam stopped recording events
- View Wyze cams on Chrome or a PC
- Tips to Troubleshoot the Wyze Camera Error Code 90
Frequently Asked Questions About Resetting Wyze Cameras
Make sure your Wyze cam is powered ON when you press the Setup button. If it is still not working when the camera is powered On, contact their customer support. The button might have hardware issues.
How to Power Cycle Wyze Floodlight Camera?
Turn OFF the breaker that connects the Wyze Floodlight cam to the power. Turn the breaker ON again after 20-30 seconds, and that is it!
What is the meaning of Wyze Cam Solid Yellow Light?
The solid yellow light on the Wyze cam indicates that the camera is getting ready to setup for the Wyze app.
How to Reset Wyze Cam WiFi?
To reset the WiFi, you must factory reset the Wyze cam.